Smiling's My Favorite


Tonight was movie night.  More specifically, tonight was this season's first viewing of "Elf".  There are many Christmas movies out there that I love, but this one has it's own special place!  It's one of those movies that you start laughing out loud at something that's going to happen in the next scene...or maybe that's just me?
My parents came over to watch it with us and brought some home made mac and cheese (yum!) so the kids and I decided we should make some cookies.  So, in honor of Buddy's snowball fight (and because my cookie baking supply was limited) we made "snowball" cookies, AKA Russian Teacakes.  If you haven't ever made this particular cookie before, it's pretty much just butter, sugar and flour rolled into balls, baked and rolled in powdered sugar.  So butter is kind of a big deal.  Which means that naturally, all the butter was frozen.  Maybe it was because of the frozen butter that my brain stopped working properly, because when I read the recipe and it said "1 cup of butter" I drew a blank as to how much that was.  One stick?  Two?  And of course the label was no help, as it only showed tablespoons.  So, I went to ask Google, who told me that there are 16 tablespoons in a cup.  Perfect!  There were 16 tablespoons on the package.  I promptly threw in 2.  It seemed like quite a bit of butter, but I'm a fan of butter so I went with it.  
Eventually I got to the part where you are supposed to roll the dough into balls to put on the baking sheet.  Since my dough resembled whipped cream more than dough, I decided to just plop some spoonfuls down and hope it worked.  I put the cookie sheet into the oven and set the timer.  A few minutes into it, I decided to double check the recipe...just to make sure I didn't miss something.  Lo and behold, I realized I put in double the amount of butter!  But, as it turns out, you can throw in some more flour, sugar and vanilla...and the partially baked cookies...to the remainder of the batter, mix it well and bake them as normal.  Who knew?
In the end, we ended up with a giant plateful of "Snowball" cookies


And a giant powdered sugar mess





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...